Saturday 9 February 2008

Leaks!!!

We have had a problem with a leaky side hatch since we purchased Serendipity a couple of years ago. We have had several tries to remedy this, and have finally come to the conculsion that this is going to need a major re-design. So for the time being, I would have to make a hatch cover out of the material I had left over from making the stern cover last year.

I vowed after making the cover and some windbreaks last year I would never do this job again. It even killed my sewing machine, but being skint needs must.

This we started to day, it was supposed to be a one day job!!! I wish.

First we were supposed to get up and out by 10.00am, we both get up at the crack of dawn during the week, so like to have a lie in on Saturday's, but today we managed to sleep in until 10.40am, so a late start.

To compound this, my husband need to get stainless steel screws, and that is the other side of town, so due to lateness of time, he would go on Baby (This is his Harvey Davidson motorcycle, who is better looked after than me and his daughter).

Disaster!!!! THE KEYS WERE LOST.

This entailed 1.5 hour search, with everything and everybody being blamed, they were finally found in the fleece he wore last weekend!!!

Needless to say I didn't get to the boat until after 1.30pm. A very late start!!!

Well, it is now 8:50pm, the light failed on us at about 6:10pm with a job only half done, we tried to continue but sometimes you have to know when you are beaten.

We will have to try and continue tomorrow. It is going to be a bit difficult as I am a Lay Minister at my local church, and I am preaching tomorrow night, and I always spend Sunday afternoon panicking about the sermon.

Oh well, when the cover is finished I hope it will look OK. I will post some photos for you all to judge

Downside of all of this - we didn't get to do any boating either.

We also discovered that the starter battery is probably knackered, it was very reluctant to get started this afternoon. It could be down to all of the electrical work and testing that went on over the last week. Alot of being turned on, but no engine running. We will just have to monitor for now.

Oh hum, perhaps we will get boating one day.

1 comment:

MortimerBones said...

ooopsie - not a good weekend after all!

I put window seals around the inside of my side hatch to create a seal between the hatch and the door - worked a treat.